Mixed Use Village Plan
After more than four years of working with the City of San Jose and listening closely to community comments and concerns, Weingarten Realty has dramatically re-envisioned Cambrian Park Plaza Shopping Center’s future. Guided by new City design goals and a concept plan generated by neighbors, we have created an innovative new Signature Project for Cambrian - a truly mixed use village which will become the heart of the community.
Our village plan is designed for people - not cars - with walking promenades connecting acres of public open space, including a central park with amphitheater next to a community plaza surrounded by small commercial shops, restaurants, and outdoor seating. There are housing opportunities for everyone with apartments over retail, townhomes, and single family houses along with four additional dedicated parks areas for a playground, fitness, dogs, and community gardening. Senior assisted living and a hotel front the central park and are connected to the plaza with a new pedestrian friendly “Main” street providing access to ample underground parking for the mix of uses.
The Cambrian Park Plaza Mixed Use Village includes:
- Public Open Space - 6+ acres of public open space, including a community plaza and central park with amphitheater.
- Building 1 - Mixed uses with 305 podium apartments over 60,000 s.f. of commercial/retail space, organized around a community plaza with underground parking (six stories)
- Building 2 - 229 bed hotel with underground parking and outdoor restaurant decks facing central park (5 stories)
- Building 3 - 165K s.f., assisted senior living connected to central park with underground parking (4-5 stories)
- Housing - 25 Townhomes along Union Avenue (2.5 stories) and 48 single family homes near existing residents (2-3 stories)
Weingarten Realty’s mixed use villages provides:
- A vibrant community destination that will become a town square for Cambrian and the heart of the community.
- More than six acres (⅓ the site) in public open spaces, including a large central park with amphitheater and public art opportunities connected seamlessly to a community plaza surrounded by commercial shops and restaurants with outdoor seating and fountains.
- A plan built for people with pedestrian paseos knitting the village together, including a central promenade running from the entrance to the village at the corner of Cambrian and Union through the community plaza and central park to the existing neighborhood to the east.
- Dedicated open spaces for children’s playground, fitness, dog park, community garden and entry plaza.
- A hotel with outdoor restaurant space and seating overlooking central park.
- A pedestrian friendly main street connecting mixed use buildings, open space areas and below ground parking.