The Shopping Center Today
The Cambrian Park Plaza Shopping Center is located at the intersection of Camden Avenue and Union Avenue on approximately 17 acres in San Jose. The property was originally developed in the 1950s and currently includes 170,925 +/- square feet of retail. Major tenants include Dollar Tree, BevMo! and Roundtable Pizza. The center serves over 180,000 people within 3 miles in the San Jose, Los Gatos and Campbell areas.
Since originally developed, the center has become unattractive to potential new tenants due to its lack of modern function and appearance. The current vacancy rate remains incredibly high. Because of its relatively low density, aging infrastructure and short term lease arrangements, the property presents a rare opportunity for the local community, City, and Weingarten Realty to pursue redevelopment.
Planning for the Future
From the start of this redevelopment journey four years ago, our goal has been to create a unique mixed use village for the local community that recognizes the history of the center, supports the future needs of residents and businesses in the area and meets the requirements of the City’s General Plan. Over 450 neighbors have already expressed support for mixed use plans Weingarten previously presented to the community and city.
However, we have listened closely to feedback from neighbors over the last three years, carefully considered the conceptual plan they presented, and also followed City design goals provided last year:
- Create a bike-friendly and pedestrian-friendly project.
- Incorporate Cambrian Park Plaza's history into the new development.
- Create spaces that include public art.
- The intersection of Camden and Union should serve as the project's most visible-prominent location.
- Feature a central promenade.
- Create a unique and spectacular architecture at the promenade.
- Create a sightline from Camden and Union through to Wyrick Ave.
- Integrate the uses on the site to feel cohesive and pedestrian-friendly.
- Create a mixed use village with retail on the ground floor and residential above.
- Increase the park and open space.
Based on unprecedented community feedback and support with ongoing direction from the City, Weingarten Realty is finalizing its plan for the future of the shopping center. We formally resubmitted full applications to the City in August 2020 to annex the property into San Jose and redevelop the center as a “Signature Project” within the Cambrian/Hillsdale Urban Village area as a truly mixed use village which will become the heart of the community.